WHY DO I NEED 108 BEADS IN MY MALA?
When I first started meditating I shopped for a set of prayer beads. It was a fun and personal process, but I quickly realized there was so many options when purchasing a mala. What are the numbers? How many beads do I need?
108. There are many reasons why it's significant. Although one reason isn't more true than the other, consider these interesting points:
1. In Astrology, here are 12 constellations, and 9 arc segments called namshas or chandrakalas. 9 times 12 equals 108. Chandra is moon, and kalas are the divisions within a whole.
2. Some say that 1 stands for God or higher Truth, 0 stands for emptiness or completeness in spiritual practice, and 8 stands for infinity or eternity.
3. The chakras are the intersections of energy lines, and there are said to be a total of 108 energy lines converging to form the heart chakra. One of them, Sushumna, leads to the crown chakra, and is said to be the path to Self-realization.
4. There are said to be 108 earthly desires in mortals. There are said to be 108 lies that humans tell. There are said to be 108 human delusions or forms of ignorance.
5. Some say there are 108 feelings, with 36 related to the past, 36 related to the present, and 36 related to the future.
6. Some suggest that there are 108 paths to God.
7. Some Buddhists carve 108 small Buddhas on a walnut for good luck. Some ring a bell 108 times to celebrate a new year. There are said to be 108 virtues to cultivate and 108 defilements to avoid.
8. The Chinese Buddhists and Taoists use a 108 bead mala, which is called su-chu, and has three dividing beads, so the mala is divided into three parts of 36 each. Chinese astrology says that there are 108 sacred stars.
9. The diameter of the Sun is 108 times the diameter of the Earth. The distance from the Sun to the Earth is 108 times the diameter of the Sun.
10. Some say there are 108 Upanishads, texts of the wisdom of the ancient sages.
There are many more connections with the number 108 than what's listed here, and as you walk on your path to enlightenment you may find one resonates with you. What I have found with my own personal meditation practice has come less to do with the number of beads on my mala, but more so with my mantras and intentions I have created for myself.
At madskymala.com, all of our mala beads are designed around the spiritual number of 108. Our original mala bracelets feature 27 beads (108 divided by 4), so that you can incorporate your mala beads, mantras, and intentions into your daily accessories. Starting at only $15 for the original mala bracelets and $25 for full original 108 malas, we hope you'll find our mala bead collections affordable, well made, and fun to wear and practice with!